Governor's House Program
In 1996, the Governor’s House program was created as a way to provide reasonably sized, affordable homes to income-qualified individuals and families.
More than 2,000 Governor's Houses have been sold to elderly, persons with disabilities, and income-qualified families in South Dakota. These South Dakota residents have a quality, low-cost, low-maintenance, energy efficient place to call home.
The Governor's House allows individuals to live independently. These homes may be placed individually or in groupings to provide a community environment.
- Household income cannot exceed $52,710 for couples or individuals and $60,240 for families of three or more.*
- For families and individuals under the age of 62, net worth must be less than $90,000 and less than $70,000 in liquid assets. For families and individuals age 62 and older, net worth must be less than $175,000 and less than $100,000 in liquid assets.
- The house must be used as the homebuyer's only residence.
- The house must be placed within South Dakota and be owned by the individual(s) living in the home.
*Effective May 1, 2019.
(Includes Delivery and Placement)
Two Bedroom - $49,700,* plus excise and sales tax.
Three Bedroom - $56,700,* plus excise and sales tax.
*Subject to change.
(SDHDA will provide technical assistance for setup of home.)
- Provide the lot
- Purchase the building permit
- Provide the foundation
- Utility hookups and fees
- Floor coverings and appliances
Governor's House Brochure
Click here if you are interested in purchasing a Governor's House.
(Products may vary depending on availability of material.)
- 24' x 42' home - 1,008 sq. ft. (Two-Bedroom House)
- 24' x 50' home - 1,200 sq. ft. (Three-Bedroom House)
- 2" X 6" exterior wall construction with R21 Batt insulation + R7.5 1-1/2" foam = R28.5 insulation
- R-60 blown in fiberglass insulation in the attic
- Vinyl traditional lap D-4 siding
- Vinyl windows with insulated glass
- Onyx stained, shaker styler, poplar kitchen and bathroom cabinets
- Choice of an electric forced air or gas forced air furnace
- Air-Source Heat Pump to provide primary cooling and secondary heating. Unit is a 2-ton unit rated at 15 SEER/8.5 HSPF
- Electric hot water heater
- 1/2" sheetrock on all interior walls; 5/8" sheetrock on ceilings
- All walls are taped, textured and painted
- Architectural Asphalt Shingles
- Manufacturer: Tamko
- Series: Heritage
- Style: Architectural
- Color: Weather Wood
- Warranty: Limited 30 Year Prorated
- Limited wind up to 130 mph
- Manufacturers, Models & Warranties List
- Pheasantland Industries - Kitchen and Bathroom Cabinetry
- Vendor Phone List
- New House Checklist
Inmate Training Program
The Program puts prison inmates to work which teaches them valuable skills. The simplified home design, in conjunction with the Governor's Inmate Training Program, keeps the cost of these homes affordable. This benefits many inmates by teaching them important skills to better prepare them for life outside of prison.
Both nonprofit and for-profit builders may purchase Governor's Houses to develop and resell to qualified buyers. Developers may earn a profit of no more than ten percent of the total project costs.